Friday, December 4, 2009

Post office kindness

Of course I am somewhat biased but I love the intentionality of kindness. Whenever I am consciously looking for opportunities to give the dakbands away, for the most part, I find kindness everywhere.

Today in the five minutes I carved out of a ridiculously busy day to make a run to the post office to mail dakband orders I found myself behind twenty people mailing christmas cards and packages. My first thought was to just come back at another time, but seeing as this was my only break in the day, and quite frankly when would be a better time between now and Christmas in terms of lines? So I settled in and turned on my dakband radar.....when it was finally my turn (now there were twenty people behind me!), I put all my packages on the counter (note the audible sighs). After the clerk measured and weighed them all and told me the cost, I realized that I had forgotten my wallet at home. I am already late to pick my daughter up from the Go station, and my son from daycare......what to do I wonder. I could feel the crowd behind me becoming mutinous....

This kind post office clerk, offered to keep my packages until I could come back with my purse. So off I went. When I returned an hour and half later, she had them ready and waiting. She definitely got a pair of bands. And when I explained that they were for acts of kindness, one was for her to keep and one for her to give away, she immediately turned around and gave it to her co-worker!


No comments: