Saturday, May 22, 2010

Dakbands in Community

Every so often I receive a note or email that reminds me how important the Dakbands really are to community. When an individual, or in this case a group of individuals manifest the true intention of the bands with their understanding of the power of kindness to change the way we live in the world, I am hopeful. I am hopeful that we can elevate our collective consciousness and encourage choices that enrich the communities within which we live and work. A few weeks ago a friend forwarded me such an email. I attempted to write the story myself, then realized that it would have more impact if Meghan told it herself:

My name is Meg McEwen and I’d like to share my story. I didn’t realize that day I received my first DAK band the impact it would have on my life. Its such a simple concept with a huge message…be aware, be deliberate and act kindly. As Dr. Wayne Dyer wrote in his book, The Power of Intention, “ Research has shown that a simple act of kindness directed toward another improves the functioning of the immune system and stimulates the production of serotonin in both the recipient of the kindness and the person extending the kindness. Even more amazing is that persons observing the act of kindness have similar beneficial results. Imagine this! Kindness extended, received, or observed beneficially impacts the physical health and feelings of everyone involved!”
I work at an Agency in Niagara that supports individuals living and affected by acquired brain injuries. Working in the field for almost ten years I know how disconnected most people can feel from one another and themselves. Since I have brought the Dakbands into our residence of six men, things have changed. These men are working as a team but most of all empowering themselves and one another. They not only can’t wait to receive a band, but they are excited to give them away! Right now the bands are being used as a tool within our home but we look forward to spreading them throughout the community this summer! At Brain Injury Community Re- entry, we as rehabilitation counselors provide support and leadership. The Dakbands are now allowing the participants to practice this for themselves and each other. It’s my belief that these bands are contributing to the development and advancements in their rehabilitation. Thank-you for making this possible!

Thank you so much from BICR,

Meghan McEwen



No comments: