Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Kindness of a Good Nurse

I won't bore you with all the gory details, but I was admitted to the hospital yesterday to have all the concerns with my heart taken care of. It has been a pretty scary, stressful couple of months, so although most people wouldn't be thrilled to be in hospital I'm actually relieved. Having said that doesn't make being here any more enjoyable though :) It is still a hospital, not a spa.

However, what does make being in the hospital - undergoing a battery of serious tests - bearable, is the care, compassion and kindness of nurses. I was admitted through the Emergency department, and when we arrived there was a waiting room full of people who had been there long before us. Their expressions were not exactly uplifting. As we settled in for the long wait, a nurse arrived towing a blood pressure cuff, notepad and friendliest attitude you can imagine. She worked her away around the room, taking temperatures, blood pressures, writing notes and talking to each person like they were the only person in the room.

I came prepared, since I might be here awhile, and quickly offered her a couple of bands and my sincere appreciation. It turns out she was the charge nurse. What an awesome display of leadership. I think my stay here is going to be just fine. I'll keep you posted.


No comments: