Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Dakbands in Africa


Dakbands in Africa

My good friend Carly traveled abroad to Ethiopia recently, together with approximately 12 other students and teachers from Appleby College in Oakville, Ontario. They went there on a 14-day ‘Service Project’ trip, where they spent the majority of their time helping out at an orphanage and at a school, both located in the capital city of Addis Ababa. Their goal was to refurbish and beautify the lunchroom and playground areas. Carly recorded her experience by taking the most incredible photos. She shared these with me a short while ago and some of the images literally took my breath away! The photo above especially caught my eye...truly a labour of love! These working hands were certainly spreading kindness to those in need in an African community. The workers passed along dakbands in recognition of kindness throughout the project. I’ve included the note that I received from Carly when she sent me the photo (below)




It was our last day working at a school in Ethiopia where we had just finished constructing a lunchroom for the children. We had been painting the walls of the lunchroom green for the past few days and everyone was covered in paint! It was very difficult to get off – some people still had paint on them when they got home! It was an extremely rewarding experience, and on that I will cherish for a long time.


Carly Barrington
"the stories in the soil, keep your ear to the ground" - Conor Oberst


No comments: