Sunday, January 8, 2012

My New Chapter


We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day.

Edith Lovejoy Pierce -

We are only a week into the New Year, and already I wonder where it has gone. No wonder there are people that actually study our perception of time, and how that relates to our happiness. I'm not quite ready to take that test, but I sure as heck have the sense that time is moving more quickly as I age become wiser. But I digress, my focus today is the mystical power of the New Year to inspire us to search for the good, no, the best, in ourselves, and others. Last year I rang in the New Year in silence, at a spiritual retreat. It was quite literally transformational. This year, I was asleep when the New Year arrived, which I hope is no way indicative of what lies ahead :) 

New Year's Day however, was a soul enriching treat. My dear friend Carolin (who blessed me her Heart Cards last year) and I walked the Central Park labrynth (in Burlington) in a windstorm, made New Year collages, drank red wine, and relished the first chapter of opportunity. She also gifted me with her newest creative inspiration, Pause Cards. Similar to her Heart Cards, only much, much smaller (each card is just a couple of centimeters by about 6 centimeters), they are meant to inspire moments of pause, reflection and conscious thinking. I have been using them to write with. Each morning I close my eyes, choose a card, and then write about whatever that card means to me at that moment. It is such a lovely way to start my day. 

Pick a card, and begin your chapter:







Happy New Year.


No comments: