Sunday, July 18, 2010

All it takes is a smile

Did you know that by simply using the same facial muscles that are used when smiling you can improve your mood! Researchers at Cardiff University explain that the brain evaluates mood by monitoring those those muscles. When we smile a feedback loop is created that tells ours brain we are happy. In other words, start smiling - it will make you feel better and it creates a positive connection with other people.

Let's just say that last Tuesday I wasn't making any positive connections with anybody. I was invited to appear on the Live @ 5:30 show on CHCH News. Little did I know that it would turn out to be a debate with Scott Radley of the Hamilton Spectator, about the front page article that appeared in the Toronto Star regarding my research.

I arrived a few moments early, feeling good, looking good (or so I thought). I was introduced to Scott. We were placed on the set, miked, given a few pointers - one of which was "look into the camera when you are talking". Testing: one, two, three. Check. Lights, camera, action. It felt like it went really well. The host, Mark Hebscher, said it was great. Thankfully I did not phone everyone I know to tell them to watch. However, I did gather my family around the TV (and I did call a few people). My daughter's comment summarizes the segment perfectly (she is 18), "Mom you looked really angry".

Instead of looking in the camera when Mark was asking a question (he is in another room and he speaks through an ear piece), I was looking down, concentrating, really hard. And it looks like it. My answers were stone faced and serious, while Scott looked like a poster child for the smile researchers. And I have no excuse. This is not the first time I've done a television spot, but it was the first time I did an interview that involved my research. I think I was trying to appear 'professional'. Unfortunately angry is not professional.

So my new project is involves smiling 90% of the time. Really. It amazes me how often I have to think about putting a smile on my face. Now I drive and wander about, smiling aimlessly. And I do feel happier!

Today I gave a woman some dakbands just for smiling back at me. Hopefully she'll not only pass the dakband on, but the smile as well.



No comments: