Saturday, June 12, 2010

Mish Mash

It has been so long since I've posted that now I have a little collection of post ideas to offer. A potpourri if you will. However, I will confess that this scrapping together of completely random stories is a guise, designed to alleviate my guilt, and buy me more time to cover the real story I had planned (but just haven't had time to follow up with).

Story #1

Last week John Wooden died, at 99. For those of you who do not follow sports, John Wooden is considered one of the best coaches who ever lived. Not because he holds an unbeatable record of 10 NCAA championships, but because he was an exceptional human being. Please follow these links to learn more:

Nine Insightful Reminders After the Passing of John Wooden

John Wooden: Untouchable record, incomparable man


Story #2

Also last week Savannah left a comment on my Birthday Kindness post (the one that has been up for two weeks). She invited me to leave a kindness story on her organization's Acts of Sweetness facebook page for an opportunity to win some great prizes. So now I'm inviting you........

Story #3

I ran my first half marathon last october. It almost killed me - literally. I felt fine until the last three kilometers, when I suddenly felt like I couldn't catch my breath, my heart rate was all over place and I desperately wanted to quit. (As it turns out, a few short months later I was diagnosed with apical ventricular hypertrophic cardio myopathy. The not-being-able-to-catch-my-breath, and erratic heart rate were symptoms). So, unfortunately that was my running career, short. Now I experience my runners high vicariously. Today I learned about a 61 year old nun who is running an ultra marathon (50 miles)in all 50 states, beginning April 19, ending June 19. The project is called, Running Hope Through America. The cause is Aids Orphans Rising. Oh yeah, she runs in her full habit!


No comments: